Thursday, August 16, 2018

Super Kraut

My dad is really good at cleverly making jokes with words. Some people may call these jokes "puns", but I think his skill rises to a more artistic level. Even at the young age of seven, he was clever enough and cheeky enough to make a pun using his knowledge of both English and Cajun French.

Now there's just one thing that you need to understand about Cajun French. The word "crotte" means "turd." It rhymes with "caught."  If you remember crotte, you'll understand this story.

There was a traveling salesman that came door to door in Kaplan, Louisiana one summer. He was showing Alice, my mawmaw, some of his products when my seven year old dad came up to see what was going on.

My dad watched silently for a few minutes until the salesman showcased a long Slim Jim type thing with the words "Super Kraut" on it.

My dad leaned away expecting a swat, "Look mom a super crotte!"






No comments: