Saturday, July 30, 2016

The Lisp


"What are you majoring in?"

"Oh, I want to be a Thpeech Therapitht" I joke, emphasizing my lisp.

Most people don't really notice that I have a lisp. However, I don't spend my time surrounded by most people. I spend my time surrounded by people who have been trained for 4+ years to hear incorrect articulation. It's hard to fly under the auditory radar around them.

I'm going to indulge myself for a second and tell you about the three types of lisps.

1.The Emma Stone. Also known as a dentalized lisp (the kind that I have).


2. The Kahmunrah. Also known as an interdental lisp. This is the one that sounds like a straight up /th/ sound. 



3. The Sid the Sloth. Also known as a lateral lisp. 



There's a lot more spit involved with that type of lisp. Ironically, I actually physically cannot produce a lateral lisp. Believe me, I've tried. A lot. 

When I first told my mom that I was changing my major to speech therapy, there was a pause on the end of the line and then, "Are you sure that's what you want to go into?"

I got flustered and said "I know you think I do, but I don't have a LITHP!"

When I get mad, nervous or loud, it gets worse.

Luckily, I'm stubborn and I felt that this is what I was meant to go into, so I stuck with it. Two years passed and I would practice my /s/ sound anytime I was out walking. Walking to class, walking my dog, walking into things, just walking. I improved it a little with help from my mom.

This term, my first term in grad school to become a speech language pathologist, I felt compelled to ask one of my professors to help me with my lisp.

Humbling. That is how I would describe that conversation. Humbling and oddly reassuring.  My professor reacted with kindness and honesty.  I walked out of her office a little overwhelmed with the task of changing a habit of 21 years. I also walked out carrying a workbook that is designed for children.

I have to admit, the way I speak is a part of my identity. Getting rid of my lisp is like asking me to dye my hair blonde or asking me to find the NBA interesting. I like that I have a lisp. I like the slightly higher pitched sound that I make. Do I lose some of my Julianess if I lose my lisp? Can I be a speech therapist with a speech impediment?

I once had an eye doctor with the laziest lazy eye that you've ever seen. In my naive 14 year old mind this seemed absurd to me. "Really? out of allllll the professions, you chose EYE doctor??"

I've since noticed that people are sometimes attracted to the very thing that they struggle with. For example, I recently read a book about a psychologist with manic depressive disorder. I know of social workers that grew up in abusive homes and teachers that hated school.

Never having struggled with something can be a struggle in and of itself. Weakness is not necessarily a bad thing. Struggle gives us passion and passion makes us good at what we do.

Achilles could have made a great podiatrist. Who knows.

Now, I'm not saying that you can't be a civil engineer if you've never had a bridge collapse underneath you. What I am saying is we all need empathy and a reason. A drive.

So when a client comes up to me and says "this thtinks." I can say "I know kid, I know."

Julia Vincent Hetherton






8 comments:

Unknown said...

Clap emoji

Julia said...

Thanks Gordy :)

Anonymous said...

You are so wise. Love, Mom

Julie said...

I didn't notice any lisp when I met you when you were 5. Loved the humor! I am sure it comes from the Anderson side of the family. ;)

Jory said...

I am almost 30 and have never been able to get rid of my lisp. I think I have the Emma Stone lisp but maybe MAYBE BUT I HOPE NOT it's the Sid the Sloth lisp. It definitely sounds like an S not a TH (no matter how much my dad likes to mock me with THes - parents, amirite?) but more like a hissing snake (I can make the S sound with my tongue completely out of my mouth like a snake, which was the habit I spent 7 years in speech therapy trying to learn how to break). It recently occurred to me that it's possibly due to the fact that I have an abnormally large tongue. Apparently most people can't touch their tongues to their noses? Imagine that. I thought it was normal I could always lick the ice cream off that accidentally made it onto my nose.

Anyway, like you, most people don't notice I have an actual lisp until I say something stupid like "my lisp gets worse when I'm sleepy" and then they're like "OMG I totally hear it now! Now I'll never not be able to hear it!"

Still, though, it bothers me. If you could recommend some exercises or something that I could work on, I'm hopefully not to old to correct this. I went through speech therapy in grade school and middle school but I think everything got wiped out after braces corrected/reduced my overbite. I do still stick my jaw forward when producing S's and sometimes my tongue doesn't even make it back behind my teeth after L sounds and especially not after TH sounds. "Soothes" is the worst word in the English language imho.

Julia said...

Hi Jory, thanks for writing! Lisps do have a lot to do with the placing of the tongue and the front teeth. I think my lisp comes from habit and something called a tongue thrust. You are so right about Soothes!! haha that's hard for a lisper.

If you are highly motivated to work on your lisp, I would find a speech-language therapist in your area. One or two sessions should be enough for them to give you some good solid exercises to work on. If you feel you need to be held more accountable then you can go to more sessions. Sometimes university clinics offer reduced prices for speech services.

If you don't want to go to an SLP, then you can start by just correctly producing and /s/ sound. Play around with the placing of your tongue until it sounds crisp and correct. Practice that until you feel you have done it many times. Then practice /s/ with the different vowel sounds. /si/ /sa/ /se/ /so/ etc. Then move up to /s/ words, /s/ phrases and /s/ sentences. http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?page_id=55 is a good resource for /s/ words and sentences.
Slowly work your way up to /s/ sentences over a few weeks. Practice for 15 minutes a day. Let me know if you have questions.

Unknown said...

Hi Julia!
Thank you for this wonderful article! It was very reassuring!
It's funnny because I found your article very relatable. I was looing into a speech therapy profession as well and I also have a lisp (the Emma Stone kind as well... only a little worse). I shadowed some speech pathologists this summer, but felt a little embarrass at the same time because I thought they would think it was a little ridiculous for a someone with a speech impediment to be looking into this profession. Also, I have a passion for the preforming arts and my hobby is Musical Theater. This makes me a little conserned that I won't be took seroisly and ben casted for more mature roles because of my lisp and that it is promonite in my singing.
I'm trying to meet with a speech therapist, but do you have any tips for now?
Thanks!

thomaskyteer said...

Good job! Thanks for sharing some useful thing on your blog. It ideally gives some informative terms to us and it place some significant thing to foot doctor who produces better treatment for Foot pain.