Tuesday, June 6, 2017

I'm Pooped

Josh and I were riding in the car yesterday and wondering where the phrase "I'm pooped" came from. I think it was because I had just said something along the lines of "Sheesh, I'm pooped" like the 80 year old that I am.  It's such a funny phrase. Why do we say we're "pooped" when we're tired?

I mean, there have been a couple of times when I was tired after pooping (you know what I'm talking about). Sometimes known as a log jam, pop-a-vein-in-your-head-poop, can't get the train out of the tunnel, Houston, we have a problem, or plain old constipation. The kind where you end up with a ring around your butt because you've been sitting on the toilet so long. This is not where the phrase comes from.


There are two theories: 


Ever heard of a poop deck? Like when you're watching a pirate documentary on The History Channel. The Latin word "puppis" means "stern" as in the stern of the ship is in the back. Or as in your mother is so stern she never poops.



Side note: Why do we never question word origins past the Latin word? "Well there you go, the Latin word is puppis, that makes total sense. That totally sounds like what the back of a ship would be called....yeah, yep. There it is, the puppis. Those Latins, thinking of everything." 

Ever heard an airplane start to konk out? (Hopefully you havent'). Some in the 1920's described it as a "poop poop" sound. Coincidentally this was also the time period where a cartoon named Betty was saying ridiculous things like "boop boopity boop." 





I think the airplane one makes more sense, but here are some quotes from REAL PIRATES about being pooped. 







Can you imagine grown men running around on a ship shouting "We're going to be pooped!" I can and it made me laugh wonderfully. 

Julia Vincent Hetherton


No comments: